Many months ago, I started a quilt. I randomly decided on this tiny triangle pattern (I do not like to research or look for patterns, I like to make things right now…) in hopes that it would use up a lot of my scrap fabric. Well, it did, and then in order to finish it I cut into lots of other fabric too – I really had no idea what I was getting into. When the Christmas rush of work took over the fall season, I put this project away. Then in the last weeks of December (the weeks that are generally very crafty anyway) I decided that I would finish it. I was at these triangles every spare minute and into the night. Over 1500 pieces later, I was. going. to. finish. it.
I completed the top just days before we headed to visit family – I took the quilt along hoping to make use of the quilting supplies at my parent’s church. I’m so glad there were other willing hands to help, which makes it that much more special to me in the end. Since I rarely do projects that involve this much time or materials, finishing this quilt felt epic. I’m guessing it’s the very last steps that keep quilters coming back for more (not so much, I think, the parts in the middle, when so much work has already been done and you’re asking yourself, do I even like this?) I don’t find that in quick projects there is room or time for me to doubt myself. In big projects, oh, there is loads of that.
Here is a how it came together:
- The first hundred or so tiny triangles (the aforementioned ‘no idea what I was getting into’)
- Sewn into 40 blocks, laid out for the final design – just trying to make sure no two pieces of the same fabric were touching.
3. Quilt top, two middle layers of bamboo, and bottom stripes (a lovely Marimekko flat sheet that I knew would wear well) sandwiched on a frame and ready for tying.
4. My mom, and friends (and kids!), came to help with the tying. It’s more fun that way.
5. Two of my besties. Striped shirts mandatory.
6. Sewing on the top side of the bias binding edge – the first time I’ve done this! 1/2″ bias binding from Bumble of Bees
7. Many hours later, after handsewing the back of the binding in place. Complete!
Several weeks have passed and the quilt is still exactly there, like in that photo above. That’s where I read and stay warm, it’s the perfect spot to enjoy it.
To those of you who followed along with this over the months on Instagram, thank you for your encouragement — I’m honestly not sure how far I would have got without it. Though I won’t be after a project like this for a long time, I really do love how this all came together.